Purchased from a local Lancaster County Pennsylvania estate,
this was part of a major collection of early cast iron hearth
This unusual hanging pan originated in Falkirk Scotland in the
early 1800's and was made by the Carron Iron Works. Used at an open hearth,
it has a full bail handle riveted at the sides. One side of the handle has
a wide divide and is riveted along either side of the generous pouring spout.
The top of the bail handle has a wide hanging ring that swivels allowing
it to be hung on a trammel over the fire.
Very functional, this had so many uses, deep enough to bake
in with the sides being 2" high, and certainly perfect for frying with the
unusual pouring spout.
Impressed with the FALKIRK name on the
Carron ironworks opened at Falkirk in 1759. Using local iron ore and
coal the Carron Company quickly developed a reputation for high quality cast
iron and by the end of the 18th century Carron was the largest ironworks
making a wide range of cast iron hearth utensils for cooking, the Carron
Ironworks produced cannons. The most famous of all their cannons was the
"Carronade", a cross between a cannon and a mortar . It was used to
deadly effect by the Royal Navy. In fact the first gun fired by HMS
Victory at the Battle of Trafalagar was a carronade cast by the
Good and heavy the hanging skillet/griddle weighs
This had plenty of use at the hearth for many years as you can
see from the heat pitting overall.
Untouched, we left it just as found. It's original patina is
still in tact, some rust visable to the interior and exterior.
A good and handsome original early 1800's cast iron cooking
utensil ... perfect for your collection!
9-3/4" across the base
11" across the rim of the sides
11" high to the top of the hanging ring
Overall in Excellent Condition. No breaks in the ironwork.
Shows a fabulous patina of age and use at the hearth with expected
heat pitting and some rust.